Player development requires outstanding and committed coaches. USA Field Hockey is seeking qualified and ambitious coaches that will help USA players improve in all aspects of the game. All qualified coaches who are USA Field Hockey Members or open to becoming a member are invited to apply. The Nexus coaching staff is crucial for the program to be successful in developing the next generation of elite athletes and future Olympians. USA Field Hockey's mission is to Succeed Internationally, to win consistently against top teams and to qualify and medal at the Paris 2024 and Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games. The participants in Nexus 2023 are the future Team USA Olympians. It is critical that all players have the opportunity and tools needed for succeed.
USA Field Hockey is starting the process by inviting talented coaches to learn more about Nexus. If interested, please register your interest here or contact your Regional Manager for more information, including current regional schedules, program details and other information.
Nexus will consist of regional coaching teams made up of some of the strongest and most talented coaches in the country. Nexus will be held over three weekends at multiple locations within each region. Head and assistant coaches will work with and assess players throughout each weekend. Coaches will bring various levels of experience and will have the opportunity to collaborate with USA Field Hockey’s Coach Education and Learning and National and Junior High Performance leaders. Focus will be on identifying the skills and qualities of the USA player and developing them through "The USA Way" principles of play. Emphasis will be on creating a fun, challenging and competitive environment for long-term development, talent assessment and identification. All players will be assessed using a new talent identification tool designed for the Nexus program.
Following the three weekends, top players will be selected from across the country to participate in a fourth weekend Selection Camp. Five Selection Camps will be held, and top coaches will be needed for these camps as well.
The final step in the Olympic Development Pathway Program is the prestigious Nexus Championship, to be held in Virginia Beach, Va., July 6 to 16, 2023. Top athletes in three age divisions will compete for selection to the Junior U.S. Women’s National Team. Coaches will be hired to work with these elite players. Coaches who are selected will receive additional professional development opportunities.
Coaching in Nexus will help you take your coaching and team to the next level!
USA Field Hockey’s goal is for coaches to benefit from their Nexus coaching experience. Benefits include compensation and exclusive offers, professional development throughout the program, inspiration from peer collaboration and pride knowing that you are contributing to the future success of Team USA.
Professional development opportunity
- Explore "The USA Way" - USA Field Hockey will provide coaches with more opportunity to further explore "The USA Way". The goal is to bring consistent messaging, language and tone to player development experience throughout the United States. Nexus' united approach to teaching the skills and tactics of the game is crucial in developing players from beginners to high performance players.
- Series of Webinars - Nexus coaches will benefit from learning about delivering sessions "The USA Way", through a series of webinars that will support your journey as a coach.
- On-field Delivery - Coaches will learn how to deliver the on-field sessions and discuss the layout and design of the sessions, how the sessions flow and how they link from eliciting game activity to identifying the skills that we see in the game to then how to practice those skills then get them back into the game.
- Off-field Delivery - There will be some off-field webinars and online learning released prior to the trainings that will tie the sessions together. Some will be linked to the psychology and social skills while also providing some mechanisms for feedback, peer assessments.
Inspiration from peer collaboration - Nexus Networking
- Work with the Top Coaches in the country - Provide you with the opportunity to work with some of the best coaches and coach educators in the country.
- Informal Coach Development -There has been a huge growth in online community learning. USA Field Hockey’s Senior Manager of Coaching and Performance Phil Edwards has set up a Slack Channel creating an informal learning platform that has grown in size. There is a specific channel for the Olympic Development Pathway that you can choose to be a part of. Please email Phil directly – firstname.lastname@example.org
All Nexus Coaches are required to be USA Field Hockey Members in good standing, which includes up-to-date background checks and Safe Sport certification. Coaches will be hired based on their certification levels and experience, with a Level 1 Certification preferred. Background checks take 5 business days or more with COVID-19. Safe Sport Certification requires online training and takes approximately 75 to 90 minutes in year one, and about a half hour in subsequent years when only a refresher course is required.
Nexus Coaches will be trained in "The USA Way", with three webinars and live calls required to prepare for the weekend camps. This training is free, and coaches will be Nexus Coach Certified. Training will include:
Introducing Nexus and "The USA Way"
Coaching Nexus and "The USA Way"
USA Field Hockey’s Nexus Evidence-Based Talent Assessment Tool
Calls with USA Field Hockey’s Coach Education and Learning Team, Junior High Performance Coaches and Nexus Staff will be held between weekends to support Nexus Coaches throughout the program, share experiences and learning with peers, and discuss topics related to the upcoming weekend session curriculum. Nexus Coaches will be invited to an online discussion forum through the Slack platform for additional sharing and informal networking.